Monday, June 9, 2008

What A Night (Frank López - Tanzania)

June 8th, 2008
Mambo mi gente? (“What’s up my peoples?” in Kiswahili and Spanish) ;)

Now let me begin by saying that I did not think that yesterday could be topped. The rush of hanging out with Mzee Pete, Mama Charlotte, and the crew was unreal, but wow… was I wrong.

Today we started off at the community center, eager to finish recording the track we had begun. I had yet to get in the booth and record my verse, one I felt confident they would enjoy. I was so inspired by their presence, their energy, and their message that the words flowed easily and straight from the heart. Our song was about the sounds of drums resembling heartbeats and bringing music back to the roots of upliftment and consciousness. Mama Charlotte sang about music that moved her in spirit and inspired action. Nakaaya, an amazing sister who is well known here in Tanzania, sang about the “fire of our fathers” and the legacy we are challenged to live up to. After her, I spit my verse.

When I came out of the booth, I was received with hugs and pounds all over. Mama Charlotte’s sweet smile filled my heart up. Love was alive and present. The day was followed by an evening of music and laughter. The Stonybrook students who had been having their study abroad at the United African Alliance Community Center were putting on a show for all the community to come out and see. Pete laid it out plain. He said that there needed to be a cultural exchange, not just some locals dancing and singing for the foreigners. So Stonybrook stepped up their game and delivered a really dope show, even learning and performing the Tanzanian national anthem as well as some of the cultural dances.

Next it was my turn to step up to the mic. Although Mama Charlotte had heard me spit in the booth earlier, Mzee Pete still hadn’t even heard of what I do. Earlier, when I had gone to Arusha market with him in the UAACC van, I had mentioned that I was eager to “spit”. About an hour later, he said:

“Brother, let me tell you how much of a square I am. You mentioned earlier that you really wanted to ‘spit’ and I thought to myself, ‘Well dam, why doesn’t he just crack open a window and do it already?’ I didn’t realize you were talking bout rappin’!”

Dude is hilarious. But still, I must admit that I was a bit nervous to perform in front of him and the entire community. Mama Charlotte kindly introduced me and I went up on stage. I was about to perform “So So Revolutionary” but something told me to do “Love Still Lives”. So I did…

Man, I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was to hear Pete and Charlotte ‘yessing’ and ‘hmming’ all throughout my poem! It felt great to be in a place where I truly know that love still lives and will continue living due to their work and devotion. It was an honor to have them hug me after the piece.

After that, we celebrated like no tomorrow, with dancing, singing, and just plain out enjoying one another’s company. I found a guitar in the recording studio and felt like I struck gold. Lisa laughed as I serenaded the Stonybrook students late into the night with revolutionary ballads and love songs. "What a scally...", she later said.

All I have left to say is…

What a night.

3 comments:

Luke R. Nephew said...

what i like is that i know you're letting your light shine. surrounded by those who's whole lives give you permission to do so. i wish i was there when you rocked the mic for the whole commmnity. i know. i was. thanks for keeping the writing coming. keep making us proud. let the oneness people are so afraid of solidify in your heart. the treasure you'll return with.

Anonymous said...

oh man!!! that shit is so crazy and beautiful!....i dont really know how else to say anything but daaamn man
-bekah

Anonymous said...

Reading your experience makes it feel real in my veins!! I am so grateful that you are doing this on behalf of all of us who want to be connected in a genuine and true way to Mama Afrika and whose turn is yet to come. Love you, dear prince...
Junauda