Sunday, June 8, 2008

Welcome Home (Frank López - Tanzania)

June 5th, 2008 – Tanzania

I made it. After filling out immigration forms and grabbing my visa, I meet my bag at the carousel. Lock is missing, it’s dusty as hell and it has a huge red ticket that reads DO NOT LOAD. I don’t bother to look inside yet. (Later I discover that somebody snagged some of my Keebler crackers. Not all. Just some. But hey, can’t blame customs for loving some tasty treats.)

I head out and realize that regardless of where you are, there will ALWAYS be a swarm of taxi drivers ready and eager to take you to your destination. So I arrive at the Kia Lodge after Gilbert drops me off, but not before he offers me a tour to the Mountain, Waterfalls, etc. Hard to turn down, but I’ll manage.

At the Kia Lodge I get into my room, drop my stuff and crash.

3 hours later, I find out I’ve been initiated. My left arm has a nice big fresh mosquito bite.

“No turning back.” I think, “Welcome home Frankie.”

No comments: