Sunday, June 8, 2008

What A Day (Frank López - Tanzania)

June 7th 2008

Hujambo from Tanzania!

Where do I even begin?! Today was by far one of the most exciting days I’ve ever had in my entire life! Seriously… I can’t begin to express my excitement and appreciation for the day Lisa and I have just passed. It all began this morning bright and early. We knew we were up for a long day hanging out with Pete and Mama Charlotte at the United African Alliance Community Center so we had a huge breakfast of eggs, bacon, mangos, watermelon juice, etc. The works! We expected to have an adventurous day, being that we were about to chill with two heroic Black Panthers in Tanzania, but had no idea what was in store for us.

After arriving at the UAACC at the bright early hour of 9am, we decided to start filming the space right away. The ENTIRE space is decorated with murals of revolutionary figures, words of power and encouragement, positive quotes and the like.

One wall reads: “You could kill the revolutionary, but you can’t kill the revolution.”

Images of civil rights heroes, jazz musicians and community color the gardens and bring life to an already lively place. It really goes to show the power of art that is meant to uplift.

Hanging out with Pete feels like a glimpse into history. He asks us if we want to join him on his journey to the market. He has a large shopping list that will feed the center for the next 4 or 5 days. “Try to keep up now!” he tells us. And man, was he right.

In Arusha market, I dodge and weave through the crowds in attempt to keep the camera focused on Pete. His dance must be choreographed as he glides effortlessly through the stores, pointing at food as clerk boys hurryingly stuff his cart for him. He is the elder so they treat him with the utmost respect calling him “Mzee” (elder) as he passes by. Everyone greets Pete with a huge smile. They respect him out of love for what he’s done in the community.

Later on, after countless jokes and amazing tales, we head back to the studio at the community center. Various Hip-Hop artists are gathered here working on a project with Peace Power Productions, UAACC’s very own studio production company. The recording booth is lined up with egg cartons, making it surprisingly sound proof. It reminds me of how the guys and I use to record with a paper towel as a pop filter and a hanger as a mic stand. Gangster.

“Brother Frankie 4! You have to write a verse to this song we are working on!” says Mama Charlotte.

Oh…my… god… is all that runs through my head.

“Do you realize you’re about to record a track with a Black Panther?”, Lisa freaks me out by stating the facts.

I write my 16 bars with the biggest smile on my face. Mama Charlotte gets in the booth and I show Kamikaze, the beat maker and producer, how to work Protools. Mama Charlotte breaks it down, harmonizing like I’ve never heard it done before.

We have an amazing time and plan to shoot the music video the next day since the whole community is coming out to dance and sing and share art with eachother.

Wow… a music video… featuring Black Panthers, East African Hip-Hop artists... and me.

It’s unreal. What… a… day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That makes me sooo proud and happy! I can't wait to see it! I should be on the remix lol. But seriously that is huge I can not wait to hear the jam!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see what you recorded on film! What an exciting time, I am sure your learning so much from this experience.

Luke R. Nephew said...

Thats what i'm talking bout. sounds beautiful. type a thing that makes rain. Can't wait to hear... FRAN-COIS!... keep letting the love flow hermanito. so much power in a man living new/old homelands. give a hug to everyone you can get your arms around. one