Friday, April 4, 2008

Poker Faced 5yr Olds (Luke Nephew - Liberia)

The streets of Monrovia are busy. Kicking dust up onto the brilliant colored clothing and radiant black skin moving in every direction under the booming sunlight. Its seriously hot. Liberians are doing their thing- ducking in and out between cars, pushing carts of plastic water canisters, walking down the streets in business suits, school uniforms, and sunglasses. and making it look good. -not easy, but good.

In spanish we say, 'sigue luchando!' (keep struggling!) - No need to remind Liberians. One look at the streets pulsating with every kind of hustle and its clear: Survival must be searched for, faught for, and attained by constant efforts. And it shows in the people's eyes.
I feel like I’m been either grilled or laughed at from all directions. Yet I’m comfortable. I quickly realize that the most gangster poker face is instantly transformed into a dancing smile by me giving a nod, wave or pound. But the eyes of infants and elders both, inspire in me a feeling of humility. Like everywhere, Women carry, balance, manage, and overcome to a mind-boggling extent. Try raising that many kids. Try carrying that many plaintains on your dome. Try overcoming statistics like 90.8 percent of females were sexually assaulted or abused during the war. Try maintaing up in here. But don’t try this at home.

By the way, Liberians put the rest of the world to shame by using two hands to wave hello. I’ve decided the rest of us are lazy and that they are right to recognize a first encounter with so much enthusiasm. Two thumbs up. Get outa here with your one hand... Hopefully, I remember that next time I give a straight faced head nod to somebody on the street. So if yall do see me give you a real enthusiastic two handed wave when i get back- Don't be thinking i lost it when i went to Liberia. Cuz actually, I think I found it.

2 comments:

Marcos Dinnerstein said...

Great posts with keen observations. Sigue mirando. - Marcos, El Padre de Beka

Unknown said...

man every single time I read these posts I'm just soo prud and I soo wanna be there with you. I eagerly await to build my brother